Friday 26 November 2010

Paper Angels Five

I am a big doll fan and dolls did inspire me when I was creating my book Paper Angels. 

Russian Dolls Picadilly

Here are two photographs of some Russian dolls that I spotted in a shop in Piccadilly, London a couple of years ago. They have nice faces and beautiful hand painted decorations.

 Russian Dolls Picadilly

When I was designing the angels for my book I spent almost the most time designing their faces as I wanted their personalities to come across in a very particular way. 

 Illustration from Paper Angels

On the theme of faces, here are some Father Christmas scraps that I bought on the Christmas flee market in Stuggart, Germany.

 Father Christmas Scraps 19th Century

I love these serious faces, very different from most of the santas we see now a days. all cheerful, fat and jolly.

No comments:

Post a Comment